Saturday, March 27, 2010
Wall Organizer Tutorial
Here is my tutorial for a Pocket Wall Organizer. This past week I made one to organize my mail and realized I probably needed one for my sewing area! I took a few photos along the way, so that you can make one too. Enjoy :)
- 1/2 yard of main fabric
- A little less than a fat quarters worth of a second fabric (minimum 11" wide)
- Some scrap cardboard around 10"x16"
I choose to use Home Dec weight canvas for my wall organizer. It gives it a lot of stability. However, the seams where pretty thick at the end. I would suggest that if you're going to use a heavy fabric, use a regular cotton weight fabric for the back piece and back pocket.
1. Iron your fabrics and cut the following pieces
From the Main Fabric:
4 pieces 18"x11" - these are the front, back, back pocket, and large front pocket piece.
From the Secondary Fabric:
1 piece 5.25"x11" - this is the bottom pocket piece.
2 pieces 8"x5.5" - these are the small top pocket pieces
2 pieces 2"x5" - these are the hanger pieces.
2. First we are going to make the bottom pocket piece. You'll need to fold the long side over 1/4", iron it, fold it over 1/4" again and topstitch.
3. Next, take one of the large 18"x11" pocket pieces and fold it in half with the shorter ends together. Iron and topstich the folded side.
4. Take the 2 small top pocket pieces and lay them right sides together. Sew around all four sides leaving a 2" gap for turning. Clip the corners and turn right side out. Don't forget to use a turning tool or something pointy to poke out the corners.
5. Now that all of the pockets are made, it's time to attach them to the front. Line the large pocket piece up with the bottom of the front piece. Stitch across around 1/2" from the bottom.
6. Line the bottom pocket piece up with the bottom of the front piece. Stitch across 1/4" from the bottom.
7. Place the small top pocket piece 2" above the large pocket. Center it widthwise. Pin in place and sew along the sides and bottom.
8. Now it's time to make the hangers. Take your hanger pieces and fold them in half length-wise. Iron. Unfold and fold both sides onto the center line created by your first fold. Iron again. Now fold in half length-wise again. Press and topstitch. Do this for both hanger pieces.
9. Bring the ends of the hanger pieces together and pin 2" from the side of the front piece. Stitch a line across it to secure. Do this for both hanger pieces.
10. Now it's time to make the back pocket. Take one of the 18"x11" pieces and fold down 1.5"-2" on a shorter size. Topstitch.
11. Time to assemble all of the pieces. First, lay the front piece facing upward. Next lay the back pocket (lined up at the bottom) on top and finally the last 18"x11" piece. Pin and stitch around all four sides using a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening for turning. Keep in mind, if you are using canvas like I did, it will be pretty bulky.
12. Iron well and topstitch on all four sides, closing your turning opening. Now, cut a piece of cardboard to fit into your back pocket, and you are done!