Finished up the final quilt for my thesis this afternoon! It feels good to get something else crossed off my to-do list! This quilt was started around 11 months ago. Finished quilt is 30"x55". Hand-dyed and un-dyed Kona Snow used to piece top, vintage sheet for the backing and shot cotton binding.
I had a hard time deciding how to quilt this top, which I think is why it sat unquilted for the better part of a year. The general consensus on flickr was to do channel quilting but I just wasn't feeling it. The dyeing and piecwork were imperfect and I wanted to emphasize that, not mask it. After a little help from friends I ended up settling on this ripple-like spiral quilting.
I promptly collected supplies to do this small batch dyeing: two packages of rit dye (I used red and yellow I believe), a pack of red plastic beer cups, and some Kona snow yardage. I cut my fabric into long strips to dye. The process was easy to follow and the results mixed. I had expected a more even dye. Having now experimented with wax-resist dye, I know why the result was uneven. Kona is not an ideal fabric for dyeing because of low thread count and sizing. I would have had better results with Kona PFD or Pimatex. The fabric was also not pretreated before dyeing. A simple soak in soda ash would have helped quite a bit!
In general I am happy with the final results of this quilt. After I put together the quilt top last year, I really did not like it. It sat in my sewing space for months before I finally pulled it out and hung it up unfinished. Now that it's quilted and bound I like it much better. I've come to accept it's imperfections!