The big secret! I made my parents a quilt for their queen bed! I came up with the idea over the summer, but of course didn't actually start it until about a week and a half before Christmas, hehe. Their bedroom in the new house will be a rusty color so I knew neutrals would be a safe bet. I decided to go with all solids so that it would keep it from being too busy. I used 8 shades of Kona cotton: Earth, Taupe, Stone, Raffia, Khaki, Straw, Sand, Champagne. It took 1/2 yards of all 8 colors. This is the third plus quilt I've made, and honestly, they're fun! It comes together really fast. I used my tutorial but cut 7.75" squares and a 12x13 layout to end up with a 87"x94" quilt!
For as quick and painless as piecing the top was, the quilting was a disaster! I think my walking foot needed oiling, and perhaps I could have used a few more pins when basting. That on top of the fact that it was really a bit too bulk for my machine and too heavy for me to maneuver properly. So, don't look at it too closely! Their are a fair number of pickers and wonky lines. Thankfully a good washing does magic to hide the mistakes!
I bound it using a brown dot/stripe I had in my stash purchased at Joanns a few years ago. I had planned on using a solid but thought the front needed a little more interest and this print did just the trick!
I am so glad I was able to get this quilt finished in time for Christmas. This is the first bed-sized quilt I've given away! I think since I knew that when I started, I didn't get quite as attached to it! But, I'm very happy with how it ended up turning out! :)