June 2016 Report
Wednesday, July 6, 2016
Since I already did a bit of a catch-up post for June last week, I wanted to talk about the first half of 2016 in my June report. First of all, how is this year already half over? Seems crazy that it's already July.
I wasn't sure how I'd like working through my stash goals or if I'd completely bail on them. I'm happy to say that for the first time this year, I am in the negative for my fabric stash! YAY! Now I just have to stay strong and continue to bring in less than I use. I've loved the organizational side of it. I have a spreadsheet where I track everything that comes in and out of my stash. There is a field for what the fabric is, what project it's for, amount and cost (if it's coming in). The tracking part has been really fun and I get excited when I finish a project and I can log the yardage. It's totally dorky, but it's working for me!
*Edited to add: I've uploaded a blank version of the simple spreadsheet I use to my google drive here, if you're interested! Under the fabric column I often simply write stash if I've used more than one fabric for a project. When I buy fabric, I write stash in the project column too. I only use the price column if I buy fabric or if I destash it, I count it as negative.
It's also been nice having project goals in general, I think I'll definitely do this again next year and keep up the tracking too. It's been really satisfying and has encouraged me to sew more. I can't believe how much progress it's pushed me to make on long term projects like my double wedding ring quilt.
As I've mentioned, to keep myself accountable I'm tracking my yardage for both yarn and fabric. Here is how I did in June:
Used up: 59.25 yards
Brought in: 19.5 yards
Net: -39.75 yards
Year to date: -21.625 yards
Used up: 0 yards
Brought in: 750 yards
Net: +750 yards
Year to date: +1087 yards
I am really excited that I have finally dipped into negative on my fabric stash this year! I still brought in more fabric that I planed, but that's okay. Between vacation fabric shopping and the The Sewcial Lounge closing, I feel like I was pretty restrained. I used up most of this month's fabric by finishing two quilts and destashing 25 yards worth of solid scraps! I never would have guessed I had that many. No knitting finishes this month. Picked up a little yarn while I was home. Itching to get back to knitting more regularly. I did start a new shawl last month!
Considering I was in Ohio for two full weeks of June, I am happy with my progress towards my goals. I finished up two quilts and took photos of them. I sewed heart blocks, finished my Mom's Maker's tote, sewed a drawstring bag, a hallway curtain, and finished another knit Linden Sweatshirt. I didn't work on any other garments this month, but I did get completely caught up on my double wedding ring wedges! So now May's and June's are done and I am over halfway done with the wedges for the quilt!
My big goal for July is to finally sew up my Archer Popover. I've had the pieces cut out since March, so I'd love to get that off my plate. I would like to baste and quilt my scrappy trip around the world quilt, which I finished the top for last month! I have a few work related things to sew too and I'm hoping to work on a few new patterns too. We'll see what I can get through this month!
George bunny, looking extra cute!