January 2017 Report
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Happy Wednesday! It's time for my first monthly report of 2017. See past reports here.
Print by Little City Love.
We took a trip up to our favorite antique mall (in Columbus, WI) last weekend. I found this little paper cutter. I took it completely apart, cleaned it up and had the blades sharpened. It's working good as new now! So satisfying to fix things up.
A cold to start the year meant I had a slow start creatively this month. I didn't get a ton of sewing done. I did make a quilt from start to finish this month though. I will be sharing a tutorial for it next week. Here is a little sneak peek!
Last week my Fantastic Quilt Voyage blocks came back to me in the mail! To read more about this project here. I'm excited to make a few more blocks and start figuring out how to put it together. So many beauties in there.
I did get some knitting done. I finished a cabled hat for myself and knit my first pair of socks. It was a fun experience and they fit great. Plus both projects have taken me closer to my knit "1000 yards of worsted weight goal" for this year, so yay!
To keep myself accountable for my stash goals, I'm tracking my yardage for fabric and yarn each month. Read more about how I track my here. Here is how I did in January:
Used up: 9 yards
Brought in: 7.5 yards
Net: -1.5 yards
Year to date: -1.5 yards
Used up: 467.5 yards
Brought in: 0 yards
Net: -467.5 yards
Year to date: -467.5 yards
My big fabric purchase this month was the yardage for the Kelly Anorak jacket I'm going to make. I ended up choosing a Robert Kaufman Ventana Twill. I'm excited to get started on the project. I hope if I start soon I'll be done in time to wear it this Spring. I used up yardage with the quilt I made this month plus two new pillowcases I made yesterday. I also used some long stashed Leah Duncan voile, plus some even older Anna Maria Horner Pastry Line voile. Felt really good to use both of those.
I worked towards two of my goals by working on two baby quilts this month. See more about those projects here. I have been thinking more about my works in progress list. It is so big because I've included groups of leftover blocks and half-square triangle units. While talking to Jacey yesterday, I started to think that including those (especially since I have no project in mind for them), might be discouraging my progress. I'm going to think more about this in February, and I may remove those from my list to make it a bit more approachable. We'll see!
George the bun, looking as cute as ever, working on his log!
Have a great month!