50 Little Gifts: Triangular Logcabin Pincushion

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Happy Thursday! Keeping things short and sweet today. I have a cute pincushion to share, which is featured in a new book!

Last year I contributed a project to a new book from Lucky Spool, 50 Little Gifts by Susanne Woods. It's filled with small projects that would be perfect for a swap or to give as a gift!

You can find my Triangular Log Cabin Pincushion in the book, it's actually the second project in the book, so it's easy to find!

I used this fun dropcloth fabric from Habitat by Jay McCaroll for my starting point, and pulled blenders in similar colors.

These are really fun to make, and the shape makes it a little different from most pincushions! They whip up fast too, which is one of my favorite things about making pincushions. Perfect afternoon project.

Check out my post for how I stuff and close my pincushions: All About Pincushions

Find the book here: 50 Little Gifts: Easy Patchwork Projects to Give or Keep

Happy Making!

Kriss Cross Quilted Pillow

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Happy Tuesday! I have another quilted pillow to share today! As I mentioned in my last pillow post, I'm making an effort to make more pillows for our living room. I like having a variety of covers to switch between, and it's fun to try out new blocks or color combos on such a manageable project.

This pillow was made from a block that I stitched up last Fall from Modern Quilts Block by Block, a book by my friend Emily Dennis. I chose to make a block using the Kriss Cross pattern, one of 12 projects included in the book.

I pulled these fabrics together months ago and I was just waiting for the right project to come along. I had just barely enough of the dark purple fabric (long out of print Lizzy House), so this turned out to be the perfect project! The rest of the fabrics for the pillow top are from the following collections: Sunprint, Brush Strokes, and Widescreen.

I actually took the time to use colored thread for the quilting! I had a light purple that was a perfect match for these fabrics. I kept the quilting really simple, just some diagonal lines.

For the backing I used one of my very favorite prints from Sugar Pop. I have a couple different cuts of it, and it was the inspiration for the entire color palette for this project. I finished off the back with a matching purple zipper.

Happy Quilting!

Strawberry Minimalist Wallet

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Happy Thursday! Today I have a little recent finish to share with you. A couple Friday's ago I printed off some PDF patterns that I hadn't gotten around to printing out. Now I have a nice stack of patterns to work from when I need a new project!

The Minimalist Wallet Pattern by my friend Anna Graham was one of them! I went from picking fabrics to finished wallet in an afternoon, so it was the perfect spur of the moment project. I made the small size.

I've been collecting strawberry fabrics lately, so I knew I wanted to use this cute Japanese strawberry fabric that I picked up from Miss Matatabi on Black Friday (it's no longer available and there is no selvedge info unfortunately!). I wanted to keep the focus on the strawberries, so I chose this simple bow tie blender print from Flower Shop by Alexia Marcelle Abegg to go with it.

I happened to already have a 4" metal zipper, which was such a nice detail for this wallet. I love the YKK metal zippers that Zip It sells.

On small projects like this I love adding little extra touches. A simple piece of leather cording on the zip makes it feel really finished! I was really glad that I also had matching snaps already in my stash.

Sometimes it feels like spur of the moment projects can get derailed easily, but this one really came together nicely!

Find the pattern in Anna's shop here: Minimalist Wallet Pattern

Happy Making!

Patchwork Essentials: Unicorn Vast Quilt

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Happy Tuesday! It's time to share a newly finished quilt!

I finished this quilt the day before we left for our holiday traveling back in December. I was determined to get it bound so that I could take photos of it on our trip! It was also my last finish of 2018, so that's fun too!

This is an alternative layout of the Vast quilt in my book, Patchwork Essentials: The Half-Square Triangle. This quilt top has been waiting to be finished up for a while!

For the background of this quilt I used a beautiful teal shot cotton. I know it's a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton, but I'm not sure exactly which color (I bought it almost 4 years ago)! The rest of the prints are quilting cottons from my stash.

I used Quilter's Dream Orient Batting to make this quilt extra lightweight. To give this quilt even more lightness I backed it in the firefly voile print from my Curiosities collection. It's so silky smooth! The combination of shot cotton, batting and voile makes it super summery.

For quilting I sent this quilt to Melissa Kelley of Sew Shabby Quilting. I chose the Tickle design, which is a nice mix of feathers and swirls. The thread is actually a light orange which really makes the quilting pop!

For the binding I used this funky sparrow print from Honor Roll by Anna Maria Horner.

It feels good to finally finish up this quilt. I only have two quilt tops left from the book now, and one is already basted and ready to be quilted! I am so determined to get them all finished up this year!

Happy Quilting!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...