Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Fabric Envelope Tutorial
Finished Size: 9.5"x6.25"
10.25"x15" piece of exterior fabric
10.25"x15" piece of lining fabric
10.25"x15" piece of medium-weight interfacing
1. Cut out all three pieces. On one short side, mark 1" from the corner. On each long side mark down 2 5/8". Draw a line between these marks and cut off the excess. This forms the top of the envelope.
2. Iron on the interfacing to the exterior fabric.
3. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the exterior and lining pieces (right sides together), leaving a small opening at the bottom short edge for turning.
4. Turn inside out and poke out corners. Iron.
5. Sew around the entire piece with a 1/8" seam allowance or smaller to close the hole and finish the edges.
6. With the exterior side facing down, fold the bottom edge up 5 5/8". Sew along both sides to form the envelope.
7. To finish it off, sew (with a very small seam allowance) along the the top of the flap to help it stay closed.