Modern Plus Pillow Tutorial
Monday, September 9, 2013
Happy Monday! I have a fun tutorial using Nordika to share with you today! I sketched up this design when I was planning booth projects early in the year. I ran out of time to make it then, but knew it would still be a great project to show off the prints!
I like to think of these as a companion project to my modern plus quilt pattern, Arithmetic! It looks awesome sewn up in Nordika, so continuing the plus theme made sense! A little solid helps break things up a bit. I used Pure Elements in Moonstone and Ash. They're quilted with two of my favorite Aurifil 50wt threads, #2600 and #2605. These pillows come together simply, but pack a big punch!
Sewing Level: Intermediate
- 2" strip of 10 print fabrics
- 1/8 yard solid fabric
- 1/3 yard of pillow backing fabric
- 1/2 yard of muslin
- 20"x20" piece of cotton batting
- 16" pillow form
- Coordinating thread
Finished Size: 16" square
Width of Fabric (WOF) = 42" assumed
Note: Materials are for one pillow.
From 7 print fabrics:
- Cut (1) 2"xWOF strip
- Subcut strip into (3) 2" squares and (1) 2"x5" rectangle
From 3 print fabrics:
- Cut (1) 2"xWOF strip
- Subcut strip into (4) 2" squares and (2) 2"x5" rectangle
From print fabric scraps:
- Cut (1) 2" square
From solid fabric:
- Cut (3) 2"xWOF strips
- Subcut 2 strips into (21) 2" squares
- Subcut remaining strip into (6) 2" squares
From muslin fabric:
- Cut (1) 20" square
From pillow backing fabric:
- Cut (1) 11.5"xWOF strip
- Subcut into (2) 16.5"x11.5" rectangles
*Use a 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.*
1. Arrange print squares and rectangles to form 13 plus shapes using the illustration as a guide.
2. Fill in with solid squares and remaining print squares. You'll have 11 rows: 6 rows of print squares and solid squares, and 5 rows of print rectangles and solid squares.
3. Sew pieces together in each row, press seams in one direction, alternating directions every other row.
4. Sew rows together, press seams in one direction.
5. Baste with batting and muslin. Quilt as desired. Trim to 16.5" square.
6. Create envelope backing using the two 11.5"x16.5" rectangles. Take one rectangle and turn the long edge down 1/2" towards the wrong side, press. Turn down again 1/2", press. Topstitch closed. Repeat with remaining rectangle.
7. Pin one backing piece right sides together with the front of the pillow top, lining up the raw edges with the sides and bottom of the pillow top. Pin the remaining piece to the top of the pillow top, overlapping the first.
8. Stitch around the pillow top, securing the backing in place. Finish seams with a zig-zag stitch or serger. Turn and press.
Voila, you're done! Enjoy your pretty new pillow!
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial! I've loved seeing all the wonderful things you've been making with Nordika! As always, if you make something from my tutorials, patterns or with my fabric, I'd love for you to add it to the In Color Order Flickr Group! :)