February 2016 Report
Monday, March 7, 2016
Before we get too far into March, I wanted to make sure and post a February report. Last month, although short, was a bit stressful. I spent most of the month preparing to teach workshops at QuiltCon. I pulled samples and step-outs, and made a few extra. Mostly, I stressed about traveling so far away and teaching such large classes. I have gained a lot of experience teaching here in Madison over the last few years, but I am used to teaching groups of 4 - 6 people. It's a totally different experience for both the students and teacher, in comparison to teaching 24 people at a time. I'm glad that I took on the challenge, and I learned a lot from it.
Right before leaving for QuiltCon, I started experiencing a flare up in my arthritis. Naturally, long teaching days on my feet and the stress of travel didn't help the situation. I've spent the last two weeks since returning home trying to take it easy and recover. That has meant doing a lot of nothing, which is really hard for me to do. This has changed my focus for the coming month. There are so many things I want to work on, post, and make. But taking care of myself has taken a front seat for the time being.
This weekend, I knit a bit for the first time in two weeks. It was nice to do something that's usually a part of my daily routine. I was able to start my Fiddlehead Mittens last month. I actually finished the first outer mitten. It's been a really enjoyable project to work on, and a very satisfying knit so far. I am using the same yarn combination as my Daybreak Shawl, one of my favorite things I've knit.
As I mentioned last month, to keep myself accountable I'm tracking my yardage for both yarn and fabric. Here is how I did in February:
Used up: 14.25 yards
Brought in: 19.25 yards
Net: +5 yards
Year to date: +14.25 yards
Used up: 0 yards
Brought in: 0 yards
Net: 0 yards
Year to date: -87 yards
I did okay in the fabric category. I used up more yardage than last month, but also brought more in. I did buy backing for a future Halloween quilt, plus fabric for two garments, which is most of it. I didn't finish any knitting projects last month, but I also didn't buy any yarn.
Looking at my other goals, I stitched up two garment patterns from my stash of never-made-patterns: an Emery dress and a Date Night dress. I still need to take nice photos of both, I'll try to post about them soon. I got a bit behind with my double wedding ring monthly goal of 15 wedges, but I finished the last of February's wedges on Saturday. I'd like to start trying to finish some of my works in progress, or pass them on/rework them. I'm hoping to at least make a list to work from this month.
I also completed another month of Project 365: a photo a day using my DSLR camera.
George has been his typical adorable, sweet self. I've been trying to spend more time giving him undivided attention every day, cause he's the best. He is getting pretty excited for Easter!