Happy Wednesday! I'm excited to share my goals for 2017 today.
2017 shall be another year of making do and working from my stash. I really enjoyed the challenge I set myself last year: Use up more fabric than I bring in. It was hard in the beginning of the year, but got easier as the year went on. It became a game, how to use up yardage. It helped me complete a lot more projects, and was fun too! I was also more intentional about what yardage I did bring in. I kept myself accountable by tracking everything, read more about my tracking methods here.
I want to continue to sew with special fabrics that I've hoarded over the years. I made two quilts with my Nani Iro fabric stash last year, and I am so glad I can enjoy these fabrics everyday! I also started a long-term quilt project with my Liberty Tana Lawn stash, which I want to keep working on.
This year is potentially going to be a big one for us. Michael is working towards finishing his Phd, including getting a paper ready for publication, preparing for his defense, applying for post-doctoral positions and then moving on to a new city. We're already feeling the weight of it, so I'm aiming for another low-stress year. On the business side, I'd like to release a few patterns, but otherwise I'm keeping my commitments to a minimum. Here's to another year of happy sewing!
Without further ado, here are my crafty goals for 2017:
- Sew/knit with more yardage than I buy. I'll be continuing to track my yardage each month again to help stay on target.
- Make sewing/knitting a daily habit. In January, I'm planning to knit for at least 15 minutes per day. I am hoping to do the same with sewing in February.
- Track my works in progress (WIPs), and end the year with fewer than I started with. I currently have 44 sewing/quilting, 5 knitting and 1 weaving.
- Make two Liberty churn dash blocks per month or a total of 24 this year.
- Build up a small stash of baby quilts, ready for gifting. Aiming for 4-5.
- Work on projects made exclusively from scraps.
- Make a quilt from my vintage sheet stash, I'm thinking a pineapple logcabin quilt!
- Finish my double wedding ring quilt. 56 wedges to go.
- Finish my indigo hand-dyed quilt. The top is already pieced.
- Finish up lingering quilt tops. Currently 6 tops waiting to be quilted.
- Continue to sew garments that I'll actually wear. Specific patterns I'd like to try for the first time this year: Beatrix Top, Derby Dress, Kelly Anorak, knit t-shirt (either Lark, Union St. tee, Plantain, or Hemlock), and the Hudson Pants.
- Knit 1600 yards of sock or sport weight yarns.
- Knit 1000 yards of DK or worsted weight yarns.
- Finish my Drachenfels shawl.
- Finish my Sunset weaving project.
- Knit a brioche project: Briochealicious or Sizzle Pop. Or both!
- Knit another sweater or destash my sweater quantities of yarn. (Bit of an ultimatum for myself!)
I'm looking forward to getting on with my list. I am still trying to catch up from having a cold last week, so I feel a bit behind already. I need to get sewing! I'll continue to do monthly reports this year to document my goal progress. See last year's monthly reports here. See last year's goals here.