Monday, April 26, 2010
Toasted Coconut Biscotti
It will continue to be a little quiet in this space for the next two weeks. This is the last week of classes with exam week coming up next week. It shouldn't be too bad this semester, but it will definitely be busy! I still plan on posting, but it will be a little sporadic!
Toasted Coconut Biscotti Recipe
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t nutmeg
3/4 c sugar
1 t vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup toasted coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Spread coconut on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes. This can be done while the oven is heating, just be sure to check on it every few minutes.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg.
4. Beat sugar, vanilla, and eggs with a mixer or in a large bowl until thick.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients and coconut to the wet mixture.
6. Pour out the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet. Spray a little cooking spray on your hands and shape into a log shape. Flatten a bit.
7. Bake for 40 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
9. Slice into ½ inch (or so) slices.
10. Transfer to a cooling rack and put back in the oven to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
*Be careful when toasting the coconut, it burns easily!
*I don’t keep nutmeg around because I hardly ever use it. I used a little Allspice instead and it tastes fine.
*You can bake the biscotti the second time on the original cookie sheet if you want. The advantage of cooking it on a cooling rack is that it bakes it on all four sides for extra crisp!